Just days after been release from hospital after a successful surgery, Nobel laureate Desmond Tutu has been readmitted to a South African hospital on Saturday.
The 84-year-old retired archbishop returned to the hospital “as a precaution after his surgical wound had shown signs of infection,” a family statement quoted Tutu’s wife, Leah, as saying.
Earlier, Tutu was admitted in hospital to treat recurring infections that have afflicted him for more than a year.
Tutu “underwent the surgical procedure 10 days ago to address the cause of recurring infections resulting from past treatment received for prostate cancer,” the statement said.
Tutu, who has been treated for prostate cancer for many years, was also hospitalized several times last year. His family has previously said that the cancer is under control.